Senior Biomedical Scientist – Microbiology
The Microbiology Department at Pathology First is looking for an experienced Biomedical Scientist to join their team as Team Manager on a 2-year fixed term contract. This is a great step up for a Specialist Biomedical Scientist into management. The post holder will be required to oversee and manage a team of Biomedical Scientists, as well as Junior and Support staff who perform analyses and processes.
The main responsibilities of the role are outlined below.
- Ensure high quality analysis, agreed quality standards of service delivery and key performance indicators.
- Provide professional knowledge and leadership skills to Specialist Biomedical Scientists, Trainees, BMS and pathology support staff.
- Provide expert technical advice to clinicians as to the appropriateness of tests, timescales and scientific guidance as required. To both Hub and Essential service laboratory teams.
- Have expert analytical and technical knowledge to perform and manage specialist analytical procedures.
- Ensure compliance with all policies as required by regulatory directives, accreditation bodies and local management.
To be considered for this opportunity you must have:
- HCPC State Registration as a Biomedical Scientist, with continued CPD
- Completion of a specialist portfolio in Microbiology
- ILM level 3 Management qualification or equivalent experience
- MSc /FIBMS (by examination)/ IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma and is currently in possession of Fellowship Class of the IBMS
- High level working knowledge of Microbiology techniques and practices at post honours degree level
- Expert interpretive and diagnostic skills
- Ability to work across 3 different sites in a 24-7 work environment if and when required.
Pathology First was formed in 2014 and is a joint venture between Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and private sector partners - Integrated Pathology Partnerships (iPP). Pathology First delivers full laboratory services to a population of 750,000 patients and over 100 GP practices in the South East.
iPP is a wholly-owned subsidiary of SYNLAB, the European leader in delivery of high quality pathology testing and imaging services. SYNLAB operates in 40 countries across four continents and carries out over 25 million tests per annum.