Senior Biomedical Scientist – Blood Transfusion
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Biomedical Scientist (Blood Transfusion Team Leader) to join our professional team in providing Transfusion Services to both Basildon and Southend Hospitals, in addition to several Community Hospital sites. The BMS team manager will help support the Principal BMS in Blood Transfusion in the supervision and training of BMS staff, Associate Practitioners and MLA support staff.
As a registered Biomedical Scientist, the candidate will be expected to lead and supervise the day to day delivery of a diagnostic service within the Blood Transfusion department. They must be able to provide advanced biomedical science technical support in transfusion expertise by providing training, advice, technical development, troubleshooting and supervision.
The main responsibilities of the role are outlined below:
- Supports the Principal BMS in Blood Transfusion in the supervision of BMS staff, Associate Practitioners and MLA support staff.
- To be able to routinely work within the Blood Transfusion Department to ensure that all specimens are processed in a timely and accurate manner, whilst ensuring a high standard of quality.
- Supervise and organise the workflow through all sections of the lab making the best possible use of available resources.
- Oversees the training and supervision of junior staff, to ensure that test procedures are carried out according to SOPs and policies and that staff are competent.
- Review of SOPs and implementation of new procedures with change control processes
- Have an understanding of root cause analysis procedures in the investigation of incidents
- To ensure that all transfusion equipment is used, maintained and quality controlled in a safe and appropriate manner and that staff are competent in its use. To review and take remedial action when quality control procedures indicate loss of performance.
- Assist in maintaining appropriate internal and external quality assurance to recognise poor performance and act accordingly.
- To ensure an adequate supply of consumables used in a robust and documented stock rotation system, oversee reagent batch acceptance testing and act appropriately on failures identified.
- Is aware of the cost of resources and to work as economically as practical in achieving objectives
- Performs any other duties, commensurate with the post and in the interest of the service
- Liaise with consultants and other key transfusion staff within and outside of the department to resolve issues and discuss areas of improvement and implementation of changes.
Qualifications and experience required:
- HCPC State registration as a Biomedical Scientist in Haematology & Transfusion.
- MSc, FIBMS, or IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma, or equivalent in clinical biochemistry and/or experience in an equivalent role. And have at least 5 years of laboratory experience.
- Experience in a training role or completion of the IBMS Certificate of Expert Practice in Training would be beneficial.
- Evidence of continuing professional development.
- Level 2 or above management qualification (desirable).
- Ability to work across 2 different sites in a 24-7 work environment if/and when required.
- Able to demonstrate a good knowledge and experience of industry standard laboratory information management systems and computer applications including Word, Excel, Power Point, Access and Statistical Package.
Pathology First was formed in 2014 and is a joint venture between Southend University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and private sector partners - Integrated Pathology Partnerships (iPP). Pathology First delivers full laboratory services to a population of 750,000 patients and over 100 GP practices in the South East.
iPP is a wholly-owned subsidiary of SYNLAB, the European leader in delivery of high quality pathology testing and imaging services. SYNLAB operates in 40 countries across four continents and carries out over 25 million tests per annum.