Senior Biomedical Scientist
3 days left
- Full Time
We are currently working in partnership with a high profile government sponsored national project in the Milton Keynes area. They are seeking a Senior Biomedical Scientist for their laboratory.
This role will provide the laboratory with a Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) registered and experienced senior biomedical scientist (BMS). You will be responsible for ensuring that all laboratory quality assurance protocols meet the ISO15189:2012 standard and are being followed. You will gather performance data for presentation at regular data quality meetings. In addition, you will be responsible for the interpretation and authorisation of RT-PCR results that require human intervention. You will also assist the laboratory coordinators, and other laboratory personnel, to carry out troubleshooting of the test process should issues arise.
The duties outlined below are an outline of the tasks, responsibilities and outcomes required of the role. The post holder will also be expected to carry out other duties as may reasonably be required.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide technical expertise to the project.
- Authorise PCR results, including IQA and EQA.
- Supervision of staff in the PCR analysis laboratory including oversight of maintenance and troubleshooting of PCR platforms.
- Responsibility for the training and development of staff in the PCR analysis laboratory.
- Create and review technical documents and SOPs compliant with the ISO15189:2012 standard using the laboratory QMS.
- Assist laboratory management in ensuring that compliance with organisational quality standards and H&S requirements are maintained.
- Pursue a programme of continuous professional development in accordance with any relevant professional registration.
- BSc Honours degree recognised by the Institute for Biomedical Science (IBMS)
- HCPC registration.
- Extensive experience using a variety of PCR methods including authorising/validating diagnostic results.
- Evidence of ability to interpret internal and external quality assurance results and to take appropriate corrective actions/investigations.
- Experience of maintaining documents and procedures within diagnostic laboratory accreditation specifications (ISO15189:2012).
- Experience of training and supervision in a laboratory setting.
- Willingness to participate in 24/7 shift working as required.
- Evidence of excellent communication and team-working skills.
- Evidence of excellent attention to detail.
- Experience of using liquid handling robots (e.g. TECAN liquid handling systems).
- Experience of viral RNA testing using real-time (RT) PCR methodology.
- Evidence of ability to compile and summarise data for presentation.
- Experience of supervising a team in a laboratory setting.
- Higher level degree or professional qualification (eg Msc, Higher Specialist portfolio).
- Experience in using end-Point PCR methods.
- Experience of Health and Safety regulations and procedures.