Senior BMS (Team Manager) in Blood Transfusion
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Biomedical Scientist (Transfusion Team Manager) to join our professional team in providing transfusion services to both Basildon and Southend hospitals, in addition to several community hospital sites. The BMS team manager will lead transfusion services at one of the hospital sites, including managing scientific and support staff.
The candidate must have advanced scientific expertise in transfusion to provide specialist training, scientific and technical analysis and skills in troubleshooting, problem solving and supervision.
Both Basildon and Southend hospitals provide acute medical and maternity services with Basildon also serving the Essex Cardiothoracic Centre (CTC) which provides a full range of specialist cardiothoracic services for the whole county and further afield.
The transfusion laboratory at Basildon provides on average 15,000 blood components per year with the Southend laboratory providing 9,000 blood components a year. Basildon supports four satellite blood fridges onsite and supports a further two at Brentwood and Orsett community hospitals, providing blood in addition, to St Luke’s Hospice. Southend Hospital provides blood products to the Spire Wellesley and Fairhaven’s Hospice.
The main IT platform for both sites is Winpath Enterprise and there are currently five Ortho Clinical Diagnostics Vision analysers. Blood grouping, antibody screening and in house antibody identification is performed by BioVue techniques and LISS Tube IAT techniques. Kleihauer screening and FMH estimation is routinely performed by acid elution methodology.
The main responsibilities of the role are outlined below.
- Supervise and organise the workflow through all sections of the transfusion laboratory making the best possible use of available resources.
- Oversees the training and supervision of junior staff, to ensure that test procedures are carried out according to SOPs and policies and that the staff are competent.
- Liaise with consultants and other key transfusion staff within and outside of the department to resolve issues and discuss areas of improvement and implementation of changes.
- To be able to routinely work within the transfusion laboratory to ensure that all specimens are processed in a timely and accurate manner, whilst ensuring a high standard of quality.
- Review of SOPs and implementation of new procedures with change control processes.
- Understand root cause analysis procedures in the investigation of incidents.
- To ensure that all transfusion equipment is used, maintained and quality controlled in a safe and appropriate manner and that staff are competent in its use.
- To review and take remedial action when quality control procedures indicate loss of performance.
- Assist in maintaining appropriate internal and external quality assurance to recognise poor performance and act accordingly.
- To ensure an adequate supply of consumables used in a robust and documented stock rotation system.
- Oversee reagent batch acceptance testing and act appropriately on failures identified.
- Be aware of the cost of resources and work economically.
Qualifications and experience required:
- MSc, FIBMS, or IBMS Higher Specialist Diploma, or equivalent in transfusion. Applicants who are working towards these qualifications will be considered.
- HCPC registration as a Biomedical Scientist.
- Applicant must have at least 5 years’ experience, working in a transfusion laboratory.
- Willingness to work across two hospital sites.
- Able to demonstrate a good knowledge and experience of laboratory information management systems and other computer applications.