About the Company
Diagnexia, a subsidiary of Deciphex: Accelerating Certainty and Pioneering Pathology Services.
Diagnexia, a leading provider of pathology services, operates as a subsidiary of the parent company, Deciphex. Established in Dublin in 2017, Deciphex has rapidly expanded to become a global team of over 150 professionals, offering innovative software solutions to address the pathology gap in both research and clinical areas. With a mission to accelerate the drug development process and provide timely, accurate diagnoses for cancer patients, Deciphex has established a strong presence through its offices in Dublin, Exeter, Oxford and Chicago.
As part of the Deciphex family, Diagnexia leverages its expertise to provide cutting-edge diagnostic solutions to healthcare organizations worldwide. Our cloud-based platform enables hospitals to easily and rapidly send cases for a consultation to our team of expert subspecialists. We are dedicated to improving patient outcomes and helping healthcare organisations stay at the forefront of the industry.
We are software developers, clinical specialists, AI engineers, operations professionals and so much more, all working as one team to support our customers and patients. Our team culture is built on trust. We give our team the space they need to deliver results and the environment to ensure they can enjoy doing it.
We are looking for highly motivated individuals who are excited to take on challenges and value making a difference in their day-to-day work. This is a unique opportunity to make a difference in the emerging Digital Pathology field.
About this Role
As a Senior Biomedical Scientist at Diagnexia, you will play a pivotal role in spearheading our Digital Pathology projects, establishing yourself as a beacon of technical expertise within the realm of digital pathology. Your responsibilities will not only encompass the routine and specialist examination of samples but will also delve into advanced techniques and methodologies, ensuring the highest standards of accuracy and precision.
As a Senior Biomedical Scientist, you will be required to supervise other staff members and deputise for the Laboratory manager.
The ideal candidate for this role is an HCPC registered Biomedical Scientist who has either successfully completed the IBMS Higher specialist portfolio in Cellular Pathology or has a Master's degree, with substantial post-registration experience.
If you are a professional who thrives in an environment that values autonomy, has the capability to work unsupervised for extended periods, and is deeply committed to enhancing patient care through continuous improvement and innovation, then this role at Diagnexia is tailored for you.
- Take responsibility for sections of the laboratory and supervise the performance of junior staff within the laboratory to ensure timely delivery of laboratory targets
- Develop and maintain the standard operating procedures for use within the laboratory in accordance with relevant regulatory standards (UKAS/ISO etc)
- Develop and maintain competency training documents for use within the laboratory in accordance with relevant regulatory standards
- Perform and evaluate staff training and competencies, and facilitate CPD for staff
- Take responsibility for own training and development and maintain expertise in all areas of histology (both practical and theoretical)
- Participate in staff interviews, selection process and appraisals
- Develop technical verification and validation protocols in accordance with relevant quality standards and carry out verification and validation of methods/analysers including appropriately documenting these
- Contribute to the laboratory quality management system and work with the quality manager and laboratory manager to ensure all staff within the Laboratory are working in accordance with relevant quality and laboratory protocols
- Develop and present reports at relevant meetings as well as facilitate and/or chair laboratory section or departmental meetings
- As part of the laboratory management team, take responsibility for ensuring that all activities within the laboratory sections are carried out in line with relevant laboratory code of practice, laboratory protocols including CoSHH/Health & Safety, and UKAS requirements.
Sample Collection and Handling:
- Collect and receive biological samples, such as blood, tissues, or body fluids, while ensuring proper labelling and storage.
- Maintain accurate records of sample collection, transportation, and storage conditions.
- Competently handle all steps of the specimen workflow including but not limited to; Accessioning, basic grossing, processing, embedding, microtomy, staining and digitisation of cases as required.
Quality Control and Quality assurance:
- Implement quality control measures to ensure the accuracy and reliability of test results.
- Troubleshoot and resolve technical issues to maintain the integrity of the testing process.
- Adhere to UKAS standards and participate in internal and external quality assurance programs and audits.
- Ensure junior staff are following relevant quality control and quality assurance procedures and follow up on any issues including escalation to the laboratory and/or quality manager as required.
Method Development and Validation:
- Develop and validate new laboratory methods and procedures as needed, following industry best practices and standards in accordance with UKAS 15189:2022 and NEQAS.
Research and Development:
- Engage in research activities to improve diagnostic techniques, including sample preparation for AI projects.
Safety and Compliance:
- Adhere to strict safety protocols to protect both laboratory personnel and patients.
- Ensure compliance with all relevant regulatory guidelines, including GDPR and UKAS
Documentation and Reporting:
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive records of all testing activities, including sample tracking, procedures, and results.
- Generate clear and concise reports for healthcare providers, pathologists, and other stakeholders.
Patient and Data Privacy:
- Maintain strict confidentiality of patient information and laboratory data, adhering to privacy laws and regulations.
- Collaborate with pathologists, medical staff, and other healthcare professionals to discuss test results and provide clinical insights.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest advances in the field through ongoing education, training, and professional development.
- Regularly calibrate and maintain laboratory equipment to ensure accuracy and reliability.
- Monitor and manage inventory of reagents, supplies, and consumables to ensure uninterrupted testing operations.
- Identify and resolve technical issues or anomalies in test results, and take corrective actions as needed.
- Training required for the role, may include ISMS, GLP, DocuSign and GDPR awareness.
- Appropriately deal with unexpected situations, incidents etc. and plan follow-up actions
- Undertake any other duties as required and appropriate to the nature and grade of the post.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Degree in biomedical science, biology, chemistry, or a related field.
- Currently HCPC registered as a Biomedical Scientist.
- Completed IBMS Higher Specialist Portfolio or Masters Degree
- Minimum of 3 years experience in Histology, Immunohistochemistry, Special stains, Embedding, Microtome, cutting sections.
- Ability to mentor and supervise junior members of staff, as well as assist in the management of the provision of a high quality laboratory service
- Proof of CPD and competency compliance
- Mandatory experience in preparation for UKAS audits and working in a UKAS accredited laboratory.
- Proficiency in a wide range of laboratory techniques, including microscopy, cell and various analytical and diagnostic methods.
- Awareness of clinical significance of laboratory finding and implications for patients
- Ability to provide technical and scientific advice as appropriate, and take further actions if test findings are anomalous or unexpected.
- Familiarity with and ability to operate, maintain, and troubleshoot laboratory equipment and instruments, including carrying out advanced troubleshooting in all laboratory sections.
- Strong data analysis skills, including the ability to use statistical software, data visualisation tools, and databases to interpret and report research or diagnostic findings.
- Knowledge of quality control and quality assurance principles, and the ability to implement and maintain quality control and quality assurance measures in the laboratory.
- Capability to develop, validate, and optimise laboratory methods and procedures.
- Proficiency in using computer software for data analysis, documentation, and laboratory information management.
- Understanding of bioinformatics tools and software for genomics, proteomics, and other data-driven research.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to convey complex scientific concepts to colleagues, healthcare providers, and non-specialists.
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team and collaborate with colleagues, physicians, and other healthcare professionals.
- Experience with GLP regulations or software will be ‘a distinct advantage’
- Attention to Detail: Precision is essential in laboratory work, and a keen eye for detail is vital to ensure accuracy.
- Problem-Solving: Strong problem-solving skills to troubleshoot technical issues and anomalies in experimental or diagnostic results.
- Adaptability: The biomedical field is continually evolving, so adaptability to new techniques and technologies is crucial.
- Ethical Conduct: A strong commitment to ethical conduct, integrity, and patient data privacy is paramount.
- Analytical Thinking: The ability to analyze complex data and draw meaningful conclusions is essential for interpreting test results and conducting research.
- Time Management: Effective time management skills to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
What are the benefits of working with Diagnexia?
- Competitive salary with performance based annual increments.
- Healthcare benefits
- Competitive annual leave
- A true sense of meaning in your work by contributing to better patient outcomes.
- The opportunity to work alongside a world-class high performing team in a hyper-growth startup environment.
- A chance to work on exciting,challenging and unique projects.
- Regular performance feedback and significant career growth opportunities.
- A highly collaborative and supportive multi cultural team.
Deciphex is an equal opportunities employer and we are committed to the principle of equality. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to age, race, religious beliefs, political views, gender identity, affectional or sexual orientation, national origin, family or marital status (including pregnancy), disability, membership of the travelling community or any other classification protected by applicable law.