Clinical Sales Specialist
We are seeking a Clinical Sales Specialist for our Clinical Diagnostics Division. Reporting to the Country Commercial Manager (UK and Ireland), the job holder is responsible for sales and support of the full portfolio of Thermo Fisher Clinical Diagnostics Division assays and instruments within the North East England and Midlands territory. The sales focus will be primarily on growing sales of the proprietary Procalcitonin assay, as well as the market leading Drugs of Abuse, Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, Immunosuppressant assays and MAS and Acrometrix Quality Control products as well as the associated analytical platforms, namely the Indiko and Kryptors analysers.
Must be located North East England and Midlands, UK
Division Specific Information
This role is within our Clinical Diagnostics Division (CDD) that offers: Innovative high-value products like PCT, CEDIA Drugs of Abuse and TDM assays, Clinical Chemistry and Molecular Controls and soon-to-launch Cascadion Clinical Mass Spec; as well as the recently launched POC PCT analyser; Global manufacturing footprint with economies of scale to offer cost efficient, high quality products to the Diagnostic Healthcare market.
What will you do?
- The key performance targets will be sales and profitability according to the AOP established for business, with an emphasis on selling the Procalcitonin, DAT, TDM and MAS QC products.
- In addition business growth beyond the annual plan is highly desirable, and is considered to be the hallmark of high performance within the sales organisation.
- Create and implement a territory plan for driving new sales opportunities.
- Identify and secure new instrument placement opportunities and associated reagent sales in line with customer sales policy.
- Develop and maintain positive customer relationships which are robust, enduring and mutually beneficial.
- Be acknowledged as an authority on invitro diagnostics and have current knowledge of commonly used methods in the laboratory
- Provide observed input on the company’s marketing and new product development initiatives.
- Monitor and maintain the company’s customer pricing policy for the territory.
- Monitor and report on the effectiveness of all sales development initiatives.
- Work in close partnership with the Service and Office functions to ensure a seamless customer experience.
- Collaborate with internal R&D colleagues and Marketing focused individuals to share best practice and customer knowledge.
- Communicate effectively within the company to maximise sales opportunities – in particular with the Freemont, Vantaa and Hennigsdorf Business Units, and with relevant local Country Organisations
- Fully support established reporting mechanisms, participate at international sales meetings, training initiatives, etc as appropriate.
- Provide required reports on all sales activities, achievements, key issues, etc with projections and strategies for the following month.
- Develop and manage an effective sales pipeline tracking process, and use this to underpin effective and accurate forecasts
- Provide timely reports on customer contact and lead generation through use the of ERM (SalesForce)
- Undertake ad hoc projects as may be required from time to time by the Country Commercial Manager or Clinical Sales Manager as appropriate.
- Travel requirements 25-40%. Must be able to cover significant geographical areas of the UK, with frequent overnight stops away from home and irregular hours when required. Occasional international travel (<20%) is anticipated for training and international sales meetings
Who we are looking for:
- Technical Degree or equivalen
- Full, clean and current UK national driving license.
- 3 plus years sales/application development experience, ideally gained in the clinical diagnostics or closely related areas. The job holder must be used to achieving agreed sales and profitability targets with the minimum of management intervention.
- Excellent knowledge of current NHS systems/procedures/management structures of Trusts/Health Authorities/Primary Care Groups.
- Proven track record in Laboratory management and procedures
- The job holder must possess proven sales ability and be able to demonstrate command of essential sales techniques, particularly in consultative solution selling. It is expected that the candidate will be adept at identifying the specific product testing needs of customers, and through the development and delivery of tailored instrument/reagent offerings, deliver a high performing solution.
- The candidate should have a good awareness of risk in the sales decision process, and be able to secure orders through effective risk management, particularly through the use of compelling financial models where appropriate.
- It is a basic requirement that the job holder is able to communicate within the company and externally in an effective and authoritative manner, both in writing and verbally.
- The job holder must possess the highly developed interpersonal and social skills necessary to represent the Company and to be able to communicate at all levels both internally and externally.
Preferred Qualifications / skills:
- A relevant degree especially in Biochemistry, Clinical Biochemistry, Microbiology or Analytical Chemistry perhaps supplemented by a Professional qualification in Clinical Biochemistry, Master’s degree in a business/financial discipline.
- Deep experience in the Toxicology or Clinical Biochemistry market place.
- Strong experience in selling clinical laboratory instruments or reagents/assays
- Documented evidence of formal sales and business training
- The ability to create and present compelling and persuasive presentations to secure customer commitment.
- Highly developed group presentation skills or public speaking.
- Financial and mathematical skills necessary to carry out costing and pricing calculations, and ideally strong financial skills to demonstrate a robust business case
- Must be familiar with Microsoft Office or similar, and be able to manipulate and present data.
- Must be able to demonstrate good time management and a methodical approach to organisation and project planning.
What’s in it for you?
We offer excellent opportunities to progress your career along with training and a chance to be a part of a growing successful organization.
With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
Each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. It’s not just a career, it’s a chance to realize your best – professionally and personally.
Join us and contribute to our mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Apply today!