Quality Manager and Support Scientist

Location
London (East), London (Greater)
Salary
From £43,023 per annum
Posted
12 Jul 2018
Closes
12 Aug 2018
Ref
EQAS-CD1
Job Function
Biomedical Scientist, Other
Contract Type
Contract
Hours
Full Time

UK National Quality Assessment Scheme

for Immunocytochemistry & In-Situ Hybridisation

 

JOB DESCRIPTION

POST:                                    Quality Manager & Support Scientist

GRADE:                                 Grade 8

BASED AT:                            Finsbury Business Centre, 40 Bowling

                                               Green Lane, London, EC1R 0NE                  

RESPONSIBLE TO:              Scheme Director and Scheme Manager

ACCOUNTABLE TO:            EQAS-CD Board of Directors

MAIN PURPOSE:                 

1. Oversee and maintain the quality management system for UK NEQAS ICC & ISH  2.To support the Scheme’s EQA Activities  3. Oversee and maintain the quality management system for EQAS-CD.

OVERVIEW OF UK NEQAS ICC & ISH:

UK NEQAS for ICC & ISH was established in the 1980s and was recognised by the UK Department of Health in 1988. The scheme has been part of the UK NEQAS family of schemes for over 25 years. Immunocytochemistry (ICC) and in-situ hybridisation (ISH) are slide-based technologies, that provide evidence to support the diagnosis of certain pathological conditions. Some tests, such as those for HER-2, can predict patient response to targeted therapies.

UK NEQAS-ICC & ISH is based at the Finsbury Business Centre in Farringdon. The scheme currently has over 450 subscribing laboratories, of which UK laboratories account for 37% of the total number of subscribers, the remaining 63% are from European and other overseas countries. The majority of the UK clinical laboratories are UK NHS Trust Hospitals who provide a diagnostic service. The scheme is a not-for-profit subscription-based service, offering quality assessments within the field of cellular pathology. At each assessment, appropriate test samples are distributed to subscribers, who are required to test them for a specified analyte and return their analysed samples. Laboratories are also requested to submit their methodological data via a web-based data collection system. Participants submissions are assessed for technical quality by an expert panel of biomedical scientists, clinical scientists and pathologists. There is also an element within some assessments that looks at the interpretation of the staining submitted by the participant. This is usually in the biomarker setting.

POST-HOLDER’S DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES

The post-holder is expected to support the service by managing and maintaining a comprehensive quality management system to facilitate retention of UKAS accreditation under IS0/IEC 17043:2010 standard, and to support the Scheme’s EQA related activities as directed.

1.   Maintain a comprehensive Quality Management System (QMS), which will, as a minimum be in     accordance with UKAS Ltd requirements. This may be extended as required to meet additional national and international quality standards.

 

2.   Formulate a range of QM related policies and procedures, as well as oversee and control all other documentation in conjunction with the Scheme’s Director and Manager.

 

3.   Hold regular QM meetings.

 

4.   Attend, and participate in staff meetings.

 

5.   Plan and conduct/oversee regular audits of the QMS, working practices, IQA, and EQA activities.

 

6.   Liaise with the Training Officer(s), with regards to QM of in-house training programs and competency assessments.

 

7.   Represent the Scheme at relevant meetings/conferences such as those related to UKAS updates.

 

8.   Assist in EQA related activities.

 

9.   Assist with general administrative duties where required.

 

10. Maintain a QMS for the Scheme’s host organization (EQAS-CD), which will primarily involve                   document management.

 

 In addition to the above activities the post-holder will be required to:

1.  Comply with the Scheme’s Health and Safety regulations.

 

2.  Take part in an annual joint review/appraisal.

 

3.  Be aware of disciplinary procedure, disciplinary rules, grievance procedures as set-out in the Employee Handbook.

 

4.  Section 7 and 8 of the Health and Safety at Work Act

 

5.  Finsbury Business Centre Fire Guidelines

 

6.  Equal Opportunities Policy

 

The hours of work are 36.5 hours per week; the distribution of these is at the discretion of the Scheme Manager and Scheme Director.

EQAS-CD CIC has adopted an equal opportunities policy and pays specific regard to its content in relation to the treatment of employees and potential employees.

This job description is not meant to be restrictive or exhaustive and duties may change in response to changing circumstances. These will be discussed with the post-holder.