Senior Biomedical Scientist
National Reference Laboratory (NRL) is a Mubadala Companycreated in partnership with and managed by Laboratory Corporation of America® Holdings (LabCorp®), the world’s leading healthcare diagnostics company and operator of one of the world’s largest and most experienced clinical laboratory networks.
The Senior Biomedical Scientist as a leader and, in conjunction with the management team, serves to oversee the Laboratory’s technical and administrative employees and their respective duties. The Senior Biomedical Scientist assists to define and monitor laboratory processes with attention to accrediting agency mandates to ensure positive patient outcomes and employee safety and satisfaction. The Senior Biomedical Scientist will contribute to the development and implementation of laboratory policies.
- Ensure the highest scientific standards are maintained and to contribute to the improvement of technical and scientific standards within the department.
- Assist in the setting up, monitoring and maintenance of quality control procedures.
- Oversee the release of verified results and to ensure such results are checked for accuracy of computer inputting.
- Assist the Technical Director in formulating the department’s standard protocols in conjunction with the Consultant Microbiologist and Medical Director
- Support the Technical Director with the introduction and expansion of the in-house test menu.
- Deputise for the Laboratory Manager and senior colleagues as required.
- Supervise and perform investigations of varying complexity - this includes both routine and specialist work in Bacteriology, Mycobacteriology and Mycology.
- Ensure that the department maintains local and international accreditation status by working in collaboration with the Quality department
- Actively support the Business Development department with sales and marketing related initiatives and lead laboratory tours for key client visits
- Perform and supervise the performance of diagnostic investigations and the authorising and reporting of results and/or issues of products which may affect patient care directly.
- Assist in the overall planning of the internal rotation and daily allocation of scientific staff within the department.
- Accountable to the Laboratory Manager for the performance and maintenance of the equipment in the department (and in other areas than the laboratory if appropriate).
- To participate in formulating operational policies under the direction of the Technical Director/Laboratory Manager and in assessing needs for additional resources and new developments.
- To assist with ensuring compliance with CAP, ISO15189, OHS and DOH standards.
- Supervise, co-ordinate and monitor the performance of Biomedical Scientists and Medical Laboratory Assistant staff within the frame work of Performance Development Review.
- Participate in training and development activities that are relevant to the job role
- Assist in the processing and production of statistics and laboratory data for use within the organization and corporate directorate
- Engage in departmental audit processes
- Notify the local Health Department of any reportable diseases, adhering to all internal and state procedures
- Responsible for coordinating the infection control program which includes surveillance; analysis of data; developing reports, policies and procedures
- Collaborates with various departments and colleagues, including Safety Officer, Human Resources, Quality Officer and others as needed to advocate for employee health and safety.
- Participates as an integral team member in creation, documentation and evaluation of laboratory tests on Cerner LIS.
- Bachelor's degree in Biomedical Science or any related field. Master's degree preferred but not essential.
- Minimum 3 years' experience (Laboratory Management / Supervision)
- HCPC licensed
Apply for Senior Biomedical Scientist
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly